About This Talk
To have legacy data for a new project is a common scenario that can be found in the wild, data sources can vary and having them ready for production without losing any old data is a priority. This talk will guide you on how to achieve this goal by sharing past experiences and gotchas that can be found on legacy data migration projects.
- Using Django’s inspect to be able to generate models and read from the legacy database. (5 mins)
- Common gotchas and errors during the inspectdb process and slight differences between database engines that can cause issues. (8 mins)
- Patterns to build efficient and clean migration scripts. (10 mins)
- Consuming files as data source for your project (7 mins)
- Migrating users and auth details (10 mins)
- Demo: migrating a wordpress site database to Django. (5 mins)